Sunday, May 8, 2011

Our mamas

We are only beginning to scratch the surface of fully understanding or appreciating the pure love our mamas feel for us. One thing we know for sure: we hit the mama jackpot.

Our mothers are different in many ways, but in the best ways they are the same: supportive, wise, understanding and beautiful. They dole out advice gently, dote on us lovingly but with awareness of boundaries, and as we approach their 30th year of making them mamas, continue give of themselves unconditionally and selflessly, never seeming to tire of mothering us to the fullest.

mama
cristy

For our parts, we'd like to apologize for the heartstopping mom moments we've given them over the years - the car crashes (starting with an overly-curious Nicholas at age 3),

NCMcarcrash

the out of control parties we threw without your permission (guess who again), and late nights past curfew when we wouldn't answer our phones. You know what they say about payback.

annie

And I can't forget Annie. Much more than just a grandmother to me now that I'm grown, she is a very special treasure all her own. This Mother's Day - my last without a baby to snuggle and my first as a mama - I feel both blessed and daunted by the very big shoes I soon have to fill.

We couldn't ask for better role models as we embark on parenthood. Everything I know about being a mama I learned - and continue to learn - from them.

feedingthedolly

Also feeling very grateful for my sweet mom and mom-to-be friends who have shared wisdom, horror stories, and helpful advice these past few months. Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful mamas out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...