Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Scenes from bedrest

Maybe it's that crazy nesting urge everyone says happens at the end of pregnancy, or maybe just feeling restless, but "the fear" - of the cut, of the blank page, of the blank canvas - applicable to just about everything I do, was tackled on a number of fronts this past week. The doctor said as long as I wasn't on my feet too long, it was fine to be up and about in the house a bit, so I've been spending some quality time playing with my favorite colors while I rest.

yarn
Isn't this the prettiest little basket of yarn? Last night I finally ripped out my baby blanket and started over. I wasn't happy with how the pattern was turning out and it seems I have nothing but time these days. Must admit I had to give it about a week before I could bear to pull it apart and get going again.

paints
I think Miller was a little surprised to come home to a large easel set up in the dining room and paints strewn out over the table. I've never painted anything in my life, but I'm such a hobbyholic that I just happened to have all the supplies on hand - including canvases, a few different mediums, and a full-size easel - to start on something for the nursery, which we may or may not wind up using in the end. It was a fun process regardless, and I had my feet propped up the whole time. I bought all these supplies on a whim 5 years ago (in my, "I should take up painting!" phase, which apparently lasted the duration of a trip to Michael's), and I'd never played with them before because I had blank canvas fear (well, and, I don't really know what I'm doing). But I'm so glad I just went for it, it was relaxing and helped clear my head a bit. Thanks, Ans for your guidance on painting with oils! Messy, but so fun!

sewing
It was my goal since the very beginning to make a crib quilt showcasing all the fabrics I designed for the nursery. The problem was I couldn't decide on what pattern to use, and I had the fear of the cut - of cutting into them, hating the direction I took (a la the crocheted blanket) and not being able to undo it. I started thinking this quilt would never get done, especially since I now have this lovely little lady draped over the back of the glider. Well, something got into me Saturday and I just sat down on the floor and started cutting. No pattern, no rotary cutter, just me, the fabrics and some scissors. Perfectly constructed it's not – rotary cutters give you straighter edges and thus straighter seams (see those jagged edges??), but it requires being on my feet, leaning over a table and that would be breaking the rules. I actually really love working this way - much more fun to freehand design than to follow a pattern, and I can visualize how it's going to turn out as I go. It is in the process of being quilted (by a much more experienced quilter than I - I know my limitations!) as we speak, and then I might share some real pictures.

It'll be a race to the finish to see which will be done first - the baby or her little blankets?

We're taking bets. Until tomorrow friends! xo

3 comments:

  1. Yep! Little peanut may be looking to make an early debut, so I'm just on bedrest until we get to term (1.5 weeks to go now). It's not so bad - and we are otherwise both very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your just going for it, I'm sure baby Miller will love everything you make for her. How special! One day you'll get to sit down with her and teach her how to do all of this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...