Thursday, April 14, 2011

Showering the peanut

We had a fun/exhausting few winter months of projects - posts to come - with the end goal in mind of having everything ready by the baby shower in early March. Well, depending on who you ask (me or the sweet man who puts up with me), the many spent weekends, endless to-do lists and trips to Lowe's were well worth it, because we reached our goal and were ready to entertain, show everyone the just-about-finished nursery, and relax a bit by the time everyone came to town. We've been able to enjoy the last trimester too as a result, so I'm really happy we pushed to get it all done. This weekend was a whirlwind of fun activities with family and friends, and it was so much fun to see everyone.

I had a number of very generous and lovely hostesses giving my shower, two of whom traveled all the way from Georgia and South Carolina just to be here that weekend. Susanna and Mary Jacob are the best kinds of houseguests to have, and they took such good care of me all weekend. We had the best time together and I was sad to see them go. We also had Sara in from New York, Amanda in from Fort Worth, and my cousins Melissa and Allison, who came from Dallas and Houston. Can you see why we are always traveling for weddings? No one lives here!

DaddyJack
Nicholas' parents and sister, Jack, Cristy, and Emily, all flew in, and it was so nice having them here too. Here's Daddy Jack, tuning up the Bugaboo. I swear we don't always put him to work when he comes to town, but he IS an excellent project tackler.

On Friday night, my mom and John threw a really nice little fiesta out on their gorgeous new deck for our families and everyone who was in town.
photo(2)

We hit up Dry Creek beforehand so we could listen to some tunes on the old busted jukebox and take advantage of the pretty afternoon.

The shower was the next evening; my friends wanted to make it a pretty evening cocktail party rather than a brunch, which worked out so well. It was held at Walton's Fancy and Staple, a neat little bakery and flower shop downtown on W. 6th, which happens to be owned by our local celebrity, Sandra Bullock.

The food was delicious and it was such a pretty event. It is always so humbling and a little overwhelming having a party thrown for you; I never know quite how to properly react to such kindness from friends (ok, well a lot of times, I cry...my bachelorette weekend pretty much all I did was cry like a not completely sober lunatic...our wedding weekend I cried numerous times day and night. I get so overcome when I am happy! So, I guess that's how I respond.). Needless to say, she got more darling clothes and bath things and toys and swings and little heirloom pieces and we are good and ready for this little one's arrival. A few pics:

lmmandmom
Me and my mom, Gigi


lmm&slevy
Sweet Sara, in from New York


Details3
Some of her presents, one of Braden's many gorgeous flower arrangements, & our precious knitted elephant!


cutedress
Cute, cute dress from my mama


ToPeanut
"To: Peanut Love, Mary Jacob"


savannah
Mary Jacob's gift, who we have named Savannah and hung in the baby's bathroom


Quilt
Gorgeous quilt from my stepmother. I didn't have another picture of me with this stunning gift, but had to include it; so I guess this lovely face is an example of another way I respond...


hostesses
Some of my lovely hostesses!


family
Peanut's grandmothers, great-grandmother, step-grandmother, and Auntie Em


lmm&braden
Sweet cousin Braden, who was involved in every last detail - down to the gorgeous professional-looking flower arrangements - and pulled it off beautifully! Thank you B!

There were no games, as I'm not much one for games, but one detail which I loved - there were envelopes strung up, numbered 1-30, with a blank card inside each. Every guest (I think some maybe doubled up) wrote a note to the baby on that year of her birthday. I have them in her keepsakes box and will just need to remember to pull the card out each year. Help me remember people, I'm a forgetful goldfish!

After the shower, we joined up with the men at my dad's house, where they grilled many different varieties of meat, drank scotch, and watched basketball playoffs. It was a true man party. Some of us made it to Donn's Depot after that, where we closed down the joint! I think I was running on adrenaline by then, because it took me a few days to recover from all the activity - but it was well worth it for such a fun weekend. I was so touched by our friends' and family's kindness in so many ways - she is already one very lucky little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...