Thursday, April 14, 2011

Catching up: Telling our family & friends

We told my family on my birthday, at my birthday dinner. We'd just had our 8 week ultrasound that same day where we got to see the baby and the sweet little heart beating (scariest/best birthday gift!). My mom, who already knew, had planned a birthday dinner at Hudson's on the Bend, in a private room for my family (my mom, stepdad John, dad, stepmom Carolyn, and grandparents Annie and John). They asked me what I'd gotten for my birthday, and I showed them my new Kendra Scott earrings and ring from Miller, and then I pulled out my ultrasound picture. Everyone was so excited! My dad knocked over a chair trying to give me hug. My mom gave me my first baby gift, a very special diaper bag that I'd already been coveting (because I'm crazy like that). I'd been on a "cleanse" for a few weeks so this gave some insight into the real reason I hadn't been drinking.

In a happy coincidence, we were going to Amarillo later that same week, for Nicholas' 10 year high school reunion. We had fed his parents the "cleanse" excuse too - I had done one just a few months prior, so it actually worked pretty well all around - until we had a moment to sit down with them on the porch and hand them a little gift we'd wrapped up for them:

photo(5)

It took a few moments for it to sink in, and I'll never forget the look on Cristy's face as she realized what it meant. The bootie ornament was Miller's idea. His mom is like me and loves sentimental ornaments, and I had been whipping up some booties around that time for the baby. We told his sisters on the phone shortly thereafter, as well as his Aunt Martha, cousin Ben, and Braden, who we managed to pull one over on too with a fun surprise.

We told some of my good friends at my birthday dinner a few weeks later. The dinner was nearly a bust, as our confirmed reservation got lost and we waited on the table for an hour and a half. But all was forgotten when I broke the happy news. We were about 10.5 weeks I think when we told; we'd delayed the dinner a few weeks because I had wanted to give it a little more time past my birthday to ensure everything was OK. Everyone made a big fuss, and I think we disturbed more than one table around us, but it was so fun to finally share our secret.

Little Peanut is the first grandchild on all sides, and everyone is so, so excited about her arrival (now, whether they feel old enough to be "grandparents," that's a different story...). She also has a very special set of great grandparents, and one very sweet great grandfather, and we feel so lucky to be able to share her with them. Our growing family has a lot of wonderful support around it, from both family and friends, and I will always look back so fondly on this happy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...