Friday, April 22, 2011

Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love

-Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas, with Waylon and Willie and the boys -

USPostoffice

Jerry Jeff, Waylon, and others have written songs about this almost mythical Texas town, which consists of an all-in-one post office/general store/bar, an outdoor stage and an old dance hall. Jerry Jeff described it pretty accurately – it ain't nothin fancy, just kids and ranches and clean white shirts and jeans. I'd probably add friendly bikers to that list. It's your ultimate little dive in the middle of nowhere and we've been many times before, but thought since it was just down the road from our place, we ought to stop and cap off our day. Every time I've been there's someone playing guitar out back, and it's just a nice way to end the afternoon.

Here's a few things you're likely to find in Luckenbach:

hatsforsale
Hats for sale

DSC_0333
Country bands playing "Faded Love"

NewPinkHats
Kiddos modeling their fancy new pink cowboy hats (they were turning in circles saying, "Ole! Ole!")

waltperryman
Weathered cowboy poets (aka the legendary Walt Perryman)

chicken
Chickens

That last item had the red dog mighty riled up, and we experienced for probably not the last time what it's like to have to make a quick exit while pulling a screeching little heathen behind us. She was disturbing the peace so we took that as our signal to head on home.

theguestbook

Don't forget to sign the guest book on your way out!

Here's a poem of Walt's to get you in the Luckenbach spirit:

The Hill of life
By Walt Perryman (2004)

When we are young, we seem to have no fear.
We tend to think we will always be here.

Wasted days and nights, we seem to think is no big deal.
But that all stuff changes when we start down the hill.

Up hill is growing up, raising a family and working to succeed.
But, when you go over the hump, life starts picking up speed.

Once on top of the hill for a little while you might feel a little bold.
Then one day you wake up and realize that you are already old.

I noticed my age one day when I walked into a old antique store,
It dawned on me how all of that old stuff did not look very old any more.

When I have a pain I think of that old TV show Sanford and Son.
Whe I start hurting I want to holler, “Honey! I think this is the big one.”

If you are not going down hill, you do not know what I mean.
I do not even buy bananas if they are very green.

Here are some good things about growing old that might be true,
Kidnappers probably will not be very interested in you.

When you buy something while you are going down hill,
If they say it will last a life time, well it probably will.

But I try to not worry about the future nor dwell on yesterday’s sorrow.
I will be happy and have fun today, just in case I am not here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...