Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mama needs a new lens

So, I splurged a little and bought a new portrait lens for my Nikon a few months ago. I thought it might come in handy when the baby arrives. It's been a bit tricky learning how to use it - no zoom function which is hard to adjust to - but luckily I have a few friends with some very precious little practice subjects:

Ellie5B&W


Ellie1
Darling Ellie, 8 mos. old. Like most babies her age, she was much more interested in eating the grass than taking pictures, but we managed to snap a few good ones in between grazing sessions. She is such a little doll, and I love her red hair!


Harrison


Harrison3
My buddy Harrison, who has the sweetest little spirit for a three-year old. He's coming over today to play with our dogs (and my vacuum - this kid LOVES vacuums!). He's also on mom's phone quite a bit so he and I do a fair amount of texting.


MissAB&W


MissA
His precious baby sister Avery, who just turned one and is the most active little thing you've ever seen. She is into everything and keeps mama on her toes, but you can't really get mad at her, because she has these magic little curls and long, long lashes.

This lens (a 50mm, f/1.8) takes advantage of the available natural light, which makes for a prettier picture, and as my friend Caroline noted, the lack of zoom forces you to be creative with your composition. It's also great for lower lighting situations and brings the subject into sharp focus while giving off that nice, fuzzy background. I think kids might be marginally easier to shoot than dogs, especially with a lens like this. Here's one I got of the pups after many (many) outtakes in which one/both dogs were not in the frame -

Dogstogether

2 comments:

  1. those pics are great! You're going to be an amazing photographer by the time that baby comes! PS - have you ever tried AP mode instead of manual? You can adjust the exposure from there. You can get the same results and do less fiddling with camera settings. So much easier when you have to chase kids of pets around or when you want someone else to take your pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Caroline! I have tried AP mode and have had mixed results. I need to keep practicing with it, I agree it would be much easier to not be fiddling quite so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...