Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Playing in the pumpkin patch

DSC_0755.JPG

Well friends, I am thrilled to report that fall has arrived in Austin, Texas! Hallelujah, there is a God. What a relentlessly awful summer that was - at times I truly thought that 100 degrees was just going to be our new normal and fall would never come. I have been relishing these cooler days and the ability to be outside. Lots more playdates, walking dates, time with Eliza at the park. It's a whole new world for us both, enjoying the outdoors together, and we are loving it.

I know you didn't think we'd get through October without an obligatory pumpkin patch shoot. You can go ahead and assume you'll see bluebonnet ones come spring, too; there are some traditions you just don't mess with. I was kind of stressing this day because I had this vision of the pictures I wanted and I wasn't sure I could pick the right setting, right timing for the lighting, whatever. I need to relax. Though this really did end up putting my skills with my portrait lens to the test - fiddling with camera settings, baby settings, lighting angles all at once. But I have to say, while I made a total fool of myself laying in the grass, making ridiculous animal noises to coax a smile - or really just earn a glance in my direction - from a very distracted Eliza, it was a very fun early morning activity and I kind of forgot all about making it perfect.

DSC_0704.JPG
DSC_0730.JPG
DSC_0705.JPG

DSC_0757.JPG

DSC_0723.JPG

At just shy of 5 months, Eliza has been working on her unsupported sitting. She loves sitting up, and is actually getting pretty steady for a few seconds at a time, but is still quite topple-prone.

DSC_0701.JPG

DSC_0751.JPG

DSC_0740.JPG
Mid-faceplant. Not the first time either. Feel free to nominate me for mother of the year.

We went with my new playgroup, a mix of women I have known since my elementary school days and new friends. All the babies are between 5-9ish months and I think you'll agree they are all terribly precious.

DSC_0663.JPG
Willa, Hunter, Eliza, Bryker, McCrae, and Gracie, who is not in this picture because she crawled away the second she was set on the blanket! Here's one with Gracie:

DSC_0646.JPG
Moral of the story, getting a bunch of babies in one picture is tough.

It is so fun watching all the little socializing that goes on. Lots of grabbing and curious investigating of one another's feet/faces/hands. Eliza is the youngest by about 6-8 weeks, and just starting this phase. Given that she isn't that much younger, it's crazy how much smaller she is, especially when compared to her new boyfriend Hunter, who at 7.5 months is both big for his age and so strong - already cruising. I don't know what was up with these two but there was a mutual pumpkin patch flirtation going on.

DSC_0669.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

DSC_0686.JPG
I couldn't believe I caught this - a little pumpkin patch kiss! What a love.

DSC_0672.JPG

DSC_0682.JPG
Babies!

DSC_0674.JPG
Mamas! I don't make many appearances on the blog, as I'm usually behind the camera...but I look pretty much like this all the time. Workout clothes, camera. Working hard for a smile from my distracted girlie. Love this one.

DSC_0670.JPG
I just let this happen. It's good for her (and it's funny). Our petite little lady is going to have to learn to hold her own with the boys!

DSC_0688.JPG
Over it.

This is where I once again thank my friend Caroline for urging me to buy a portrait lens...which pretty much is the only lens I use now. It's much trickier in a lot of ways, but I am hooked and so glad to have it now!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear you are enjoying your lens. You're pictures are beautiful (ESPECIALLY that first one)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...