Monday, February 20, 2012

Nine.

DSC_0292.JPG

It hurts my heart a little to write this. Eliza, our sweet baby, you are growing up too fast. Nine months is so close to twelve. But it is, unbelievably, even better than eight.

DSC_0486.JPG

DSC_0360.JPG

She crawls. She talks. She claps. She waves. She gives me kisses, hugs.
DSC_0340.JPG
Eliza definitely has her Daddy's mouth, but this here is what my parents used to call my "orange slice" smile. You can see it here.

DSC_0352.JPG

DSC_0311.JPG


DSC_0524.JPG
She eats e.very.thing I put in front of her with gusto. Aside from puzzle pieces, leaves, and carpet schmutz it's all MY cooking - which means she must have her daddy's adventurous and forgiving palate (my cooking is mediocre at best but he pretends it's delicious). The only small issue we have is that she feels entitled to anything I'm eating, but for now I happily indulge her in little bites, if she's willing to try it.

DSC_0282.JPG
We also eat coffee tables.

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0360.JPG
Clapping: She started clapping right around her 8 month birthday. She's been waving for few months, but now she waves and claps to strangers in the grocery store, which is of course oh so charming to all the ladies and gents who approach her. She's a very happy and social little one, for the most part. Sometimes they'll even get a "hi" in conjunction with the wave. She also enjoys waving to people when their backs are turned, and they have no idea she's there (I find this hilarious).
DSC_0469.JPG
She's ever so curious.

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0444.JPG
Pointing: At lights, ceiling fans, stuff in the nursery, characters in her books. Often accompanied by commentary in her own little language (though we think we are hearing "Dight" for light?). The funny thing about talking at this age is some days she really seems to be working on words and repeating the sounds she hears, and other days it's turned off completely and all we hear is jibberish.

DSC_0274.JPG
Crawling: Literally overnight, we moved on from the worm. Now it's mostly a crawl, with a downward dog/plank mixed in here and there.

DSC_0535.JPG

DSC_0539.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG
Teeth - we have 3 - her first top one just broke through, and we are cutting three more at once as we speak. They are driving us both crazy. Pobrecita.

DSC_0403.JPG
This is what we look like when we are teething so much that we cry through our nap. Those days aren't fun for anyone involved.

DSC_0521.JPG

DSC_0449.JPG

Talking: Her language seems to be richer with every passing day. She talks to her toys, talks in her crib, just chatters all day. Even though she can go wherever she wants now, she is still pretty content to sit and jabber to her toys much of the time rather than get into things (which also just seems to be more of a "girly" baby attribute). I love it as we communicate so well. She said, "mama!" yesterday to me and it's different than it was when she said it at 6 months (over and over, then one day stopped and moved on to another sound). She says it when she's crawling to me, when I'm feeding her, and mostly when she's sad.

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0359.JPG
Daddy: This is when Dada came home. She lights up when Daddy comes through the door and waves him goodbye from her high chair in the morning. I have to say, that may be my very favorite thing.

DSC_0494.JPG
Or maybe it's this: a few days ago, Eliza woke up in a particularly snuggly mood after her nap, so rather than rushing her into the living room to play, we sat in the glider and she just hugged me. And then she gave me multiple, sloppy baby kisses. Bounced on my lap giddily - a new thing she does - and then lunged in for more hugs. I kissed her cheeks, as I do hundreds of times per day. And she hugged me some more. More kisses, more bouncing. Ten minutes passed; it's increasingly rare that she will just sit and focus on mama, rather than reaching for a book, a toy, scanning the room for things of interest. There were some very dark days around 6 weeks that I wish I could have given my sleep-deprived self a hug, told her it was all going to be ok, and turned her around to watch a video of that moment. It is the purest high; the most wonderful part of my job. And it's not something you easily forget, like those early days are. It's one of those moments I'll carry with me to her wedding day.

Happy 9 months, precious little one. I remain so thankful for the wonderful blessing that is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...