Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lucky seven

(Apologies to those who have been following from the beginning, but as we've acquired many new readers since then, I thought I'd retell this timely story).

Last Christmas was our most memorable to date.

December 23, I had my routine check-up, where my doctor had promised to do a quick, unscheduled sonogram (16 weeks pregnant) to take a quick peek at the baby's gender for our Christmas surprise. My doctor put it on a card and sealed the envelope. Christmas Eve, I went to a children's store (Janie and Jack) and picked out two outfits for Christmas.

photo(3)

I told them to wrap up whatever the card said. Christmas morning, we opened all our presents under the tree, and then we opened this:

photo(4)

And I promptly burst into tears, because that is what pregnant ladies do. We put the outfit back in the box, and Skyped the Millers in Colorado so we could open the present with them. Then we re-wrapped the box, took it to my mom and John's in our pajamas, and then to my grandparents' house. Three happy reveals.

It'saGirl

itsagirl2

Last Christmas, we were preparing the nursery for painting, beginning to think about cribs and summoning the courage to go into BuyBuyBaby. I was starting to feel little flutters of our sweet baby girl, most memorably at church on Christmas Eve. Becoming parents was becoming real. The anticipation of it all was so exciting - magical even - and June felt like an eternity away.

The only thing that could top that magical Christmas would be this scrumptious 7-month old, wearing the dress I picked out for her, before I even knew her.

DSC_0816.JPG

DSC_0791.JPG

DSC_0835.JPG

And so, here we are, at 7 months. She's talking up a storm. It sounds like real talking now, with inflections and whatnot, but of course it doesn't make any sense to us. She seems to know what it means, and is very confident in what she's saying, gasping for breath like it's an urgent matter. Everything she does these days seems to be with intention. She has looked at her Daddy entering the room and said "Hiiiii da da!" more than once, but of course we can't be sure that's what she's really saying. She also squeals when I say "yayy!" in the same pitch, and repeats tones and rhythms of what we say. I can say a line from her favorite book anywhere we are and it evokes a knowing smile. Preciosa.

(By the way...I fully realize none of you care about this level of babyhood minutae...but I have to put it here or else I'll forget. I'm terribly forgetful these days.)

DSC_0779.JPG

I keep forgetting to "sign" with her as much as I'd intended, but we are communicating plenty. Her new favorite trick is "clucking" her tongue, especially after you do it first. She's very proud of this. Lately it's just the three of us clucking back and forth at one another. She also loves to have important conversations with herself standing up in the mirror.

DSC_0804.JPG

In addition to eating remotes, iPhones, and chalkboards, baby girl is doing great with Cheerios and other small, easily dissolved finger foods - she has a great little pincer grasp. Will drink water from a sippy straw cup when she wants to, though isn't always terribly interested. The dogs (as I anticipated) have a newfound appreciation for their sissy, now that Cheerios have entered the picture. I have a newfound appreciation for them, as mama NEVER has to sweep up after a meal.

DSC_0721.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

Suddenly it's all happening SO fast.

DSC_0776.JPG

Eliza has two bottom teeth now. I'll give you one guess as to what she wants for Christmas:

DSC_0473.JPG

They say their eye color settles in around now (glad something is staying put...), so here's the verdict:

DSC_0468.JPG

Growing: Miss priss has had a major growth spurt, and is jumping percentiles in height and weight (a little longer than heavy). A few months back, we thought there was NO way this dress would fit our petite little lady, who was still wearing some 3 month clothes at 5 months. Fair, blondie hair seems to be coming in longer each day, but she rocks the bald well. Her friend Blake likes to rub it for good luck ;).

DSC_0916.JPG

On the move: Lately she has been all over the place in her crib, including on her tummy. Today, she pulled herself up to sit from lying down, which means when we get back from Amarillo we will be dropping her mattress. She has been pulling to stand from sitting for awhile now, but we weren't worried about it since she couldn't sit from lying down. We are on the brink of a whole new set of challenges, I fear. Little E. still prefers to stand if given the option, but seems to be getting close to mobility on the crawling front. We shall see how that unfolds...but for the record I LOVE a sitting, non-mobile baby!

DSC_0764.JPG

DSC_0819.JPG

She is inquisitive and curious, and very outgoing when it comes to her pint-sized friends, but can also be a little reserved right now with strangers. She is friendly, never fearful or upset, but sometimes a bit quiet when she's uncertain or overwhelmed. Spunky, yet delicate, precise, dainty. Her personality seems to unfold in a different way each day. She is a DREAM baby.

DSC_0786.JPG

DSC_0753.JPG

DSC_0749.JPG

I am terribly smitten with the cuddly, affectionate snuggles she now doles out; for me, they are the best part of this month (last month she was heartcrushingly, fiercely independent pre-nap, pushing away from me and fussing to be put down). She takes her thumb, and settles into my chest as I sing to her - poorly - before her nap. She gives me dazed, sleepy "hugs" when I get her up, curling in and grabbing hold of me tight. We rock a little bit for a moment, to ease her out of her groggy state. It doesn't get much sweeter.

DSC_0769.JPG

DSC_0794.JPG

Happy 7 months, wonderful, precious Eliza. Last Christmas, we could have never, ever dreamed up anything as perfect as you.

A very Merry Christmas to our families, our friends and our readers far and wide!

xo,
lmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...