Thursday, April 26, 2012

This one goes to eleven.


DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Eleven. I'd be lying if I said I'm not getting a little emotional about it, but I have to remind myself how wonderful this time is too. Such a breeze compared to those early days. We connect and communicate and are in a perfect rhythm. I have not one complaint about this stage. Two good naps (most days), all kinds of personality, not quite walking but plenty mobile, and very self-assured. It's a good age. All the stages are wonderful in their own way, but some are harder than others. But overall it seems like it just gets better and better. You're like a fine wine, Eliza, more delicious and delightful with each passing month. We love you ever so much.

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

This shoot was, unsurprisingly, the most difficult yet, as all she wanted to do was stand up in the chair and bang on the window. So, we let her (supervised, of course), as it sums up nicely where she is these days. A cruising, crawling, curious, busy little thing.

DSC_0045.JPG

(This is after she'd tossed all the animals over the chair.)

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0286.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

I know I say it every month. But she is just incredibly sweet. This is how she hugs her stuffed animals when you ask her to, with them up by her ear. What else do you call it?

DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

She gives us tight hugs and kisses too whenever we ask for them; spontaneously too. I am here to tell you, my new mothers and mothers-to-be, there is nothing on this earth that compares to a spontaneous, slobbery kiss from your baby girl as you peruse paper towel offerings at Randalls. She'll pull your face in and plant one on you. Followed of course, by a toothy, delighted-with-herself grin.

DSC_0218.JPG
(Here's a kiss for Josephine)

DSC_0036.JPG

She is still a big sharer, probably because I encouraged this inclination with lots of "thank you!"'s and now it's kind of all she does. She shares books and toys with her precious little friends. MOST things she finds on the ground at the park or at home now are offered to me ("Dis?") rather than heading into the mouth. Like dis rock. Why, thank you, Eliza.

DSC_0121.JPG

She feels very helpful when she hands me things, so we've been finding things around the house that she can "help" with, like handing me laundry to fold.  Her job in the morning is to hand Dada his socks and undershirt when he's getting dressed. She has also been big on putting things away, so she helps me drop certain things into the trashcan, the dishwasher. I save Dada's socks for her so she can "help" me drop them in the drawer. She turns off the light in the nursery at naptime/bedtime. Chooses the story we read. "Holds" my keys and excitedly takes receipts from the cashier for me. When you're 11 months, chores are awesome. And, while more time-consuming on my end, they are a little more awesome for me too with my busy helper by my side.

The other day we unloaded toilet paper together, with her taking them from the bag and handing them to me, and me putting it away in the cabinets. She clapped every time she handed me a roll, so proud of her little self. She is so happy to be actively participating in our family.

DSC_0033.JPG

Little Eliza Lou, you are TOO much.

DSC_0217.JPG
(another hug)

And I hate to tell you this, Liz, but I really love this precious lip you've given us since the day you were born. It has the opposite of its intended effect.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

Her language is developing so rapidly, but in an unexpected way. Lately she has completely dropped many of the words she was saying in favor of richer, more complex sound combinations, which sound like full sentences but in another language. Ever-curious about such things (and not out of concern, as I am well aware that this child is doing just great from a developmental standpoint), I asked her doctor about why this is last time we were in, and apparently it's very typical; they often master words and move on, rather than incorporating them into their language and using them. She said those words will probably just reappear one day, along with others she understands but doesn't say. I've found her language development completely fascinating. Some days she works on words and others it's just jabber all day long. She continues to be QUITE the chatterbox.

When we read books together now, we ask her if she can find the butterfly or the duck, or the bunny, and she points to them - "Dat." "Dat." She gets them right most of the time, though not always of course, but it's so neat to see how much she already knows. 11 months! A little person, she is.

DSC_0101.JPG

Other things I want to remember: She communicates her needs now with pointing, along with just pointing at everything in sight as she has been doing for awhile now. The other day I saw her in the carseat mirror pointing at everything we passed by "Dat! (a tree) Dat! (a car) Dat! (a tree)". Also, the rocking and waving her hands in the air (like she just don't care) any time music plays. And girlfriend freaks when Sesame Street comes on - we watch it on Saturday mornings. I mean, FREAKS. Bobbing, rocking, waving her hands. How do they know??

Anyway, when I asked Miller what he wanted to remember about this month, he said, "Oh, everything." Me too. Well said, my man of much fewer words.

DSC_0157.JPG

We head to New Orleans tomorrow (driving). We've been talking about making it to Jazzfest this year since I was pregnant, so we are seizing this perfect moment and taking off for a weekend. It never gets any easier to leave her, but it's so good for the two of us to get away for a bit. And next week, I head to Atlanta on my first real solo trip with E! I know she is very excited to be reunited with Miss MJ and meet some of our college friends, along with the Malatesta Clan, who I have no doubt will show her a GREAT time. Pray for my liver first, and then my sanity as I brave the airlines alone with my spunky little lady. Love y'all.

1 comment:

  1. You are brave. We will make sure we are your most relaxing stop along the way....lots of coffee in our PJs....and lots of lying around! SO excited to see you and Eliza!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...