Tuesday, September 25, 2012

August and everything after (pt.1): Colorado

I planned this trip to Colorado back in April, long before we knew we were moving, pregnant (though I'd figured I could be), or even house hunting. It fell at an admittedly awful time in my pregnancy/our move - maybe the most exhausted I've been in my entire life. Eliza and I were going to visit my grandparents in Beaver Creek, where I have been going since I was a little girl. Too sleep-deprived, exhausted and overwhelmed to even fathom packing two suitcases and getting onto a plane with my busy toddler by myself, I thought briefly of canceling the trip. But I will agree with you that Beaver Creek is kind of the opposite of roughing it, so I knew once we were there it may be a good chance to recharge.
.

In the end I'm so very glad we went.

What a special trip for me, for Eliza, for my grandparents. It was the first time my cousins and I had all been up there together since we were kids, so that in and of itself was a special thing.
.

Eliza was a delightful, I daresay wonderful traveling companion. Sidenote: traveling alone with ANY one-year-old on your lap is akin to being trapped in a small crate with a puppy for two-plus hours. But, she was happy, chatty, charming - absolutely as perfect as I could have ever asked for, no nap and all.
.

 .
(she finally passed out on the drive from Denver).

Once we arrived, I spent most of the time chasing this little lady around the house. She had a ball running all over and playing with the screen door - an endless source of entertainment.

.

.
.

Filed under things that make my heart sing: my grandparents with my daughter. They were on cloud nine and Eliza adores them both. My cup runneth over.

.


.

Eliza has gained such a sense of purpose and responsibility over the past few months - my eager, sweet little helper. So while she still throws plenty of food overboard, at least she helps me clean up by taking the broom to the closet. That was her duty each morning after breakfast in Colorado, and she did it with such enthusiasm. Sweeping up meals is a foreign concept to us, since we have the dogs at home, but she thought it was great fun. She would also eagerly and proudly come help me push the trashcan closed after I'd thrown the dustpan's contents away. I am always trying to think of new little tasks she can "help" me with around the house; simultaneously it seems to build her self-confidence and strengthen our bond. It's a sweet and happy thing we share.

.

Johnny helped her master the nesting blocks. She was so proud of herself, and he was so proud of her (I just remembered I have actual pictures of this whole scene on my real camera...sigh...maybe I'll post some more when I manage to get them uploaded)
.

Taking a well-deserved break. My grandparents did an admirable job of keeping up with E. while we were there. This is what our trips to Colorado look like when there isn't a one year-old to entertain.

.

Our house in Beaver Creek holds so many happy, relaxed childhood summer memories; we were also engaged there almost exactly six years ago, much to my surprise at the time.  To share this special place with my daughter, and to give my grandparents some quality time with their great granddaughter surely rounds out my top three favorite Beaver Creek trips.

On the way to catch our shuttle back to Denver, Eliza called Annie "NiNi" for the first time. I captured this moment a few minutes later, when NiNi took Eliza for a stroll to tire her out before the drive. For me, truly, it doesn't get much better than this.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...