Tuesday, May 15, 2012

In which Eliza never wants to leave (Part 2 of our Southern Tour)

Whew! Mother's Day has come and gone and I'm now in the throes of birthday party planning. Did I mention Miller and Eliza gave me a new iPhone? Mother's Day isn't about the gifts, but I have to say this one is pretty life-changing, because my old iPhone was essentially functioning on the same level as a 1992 Zack Morris model, and my new phone has Siri, who will be managing my sanity from here on out. She is my new bestie.

So, where were we? Ah yes, Birmingham! So, Eliza and I drove from Atlanta to Birmingham to visit my friend Caroline and her four kids. I had originally planned to come down for the day from Atlanta, because she just had her baby boy 8 weeks ago and I'm not usually one to intrude. I proposed the visit, she proposed I stay, and I gave her lots of outs, I swear. But she said, "No really, come stay in our nursery! It's not even being used right now and there's a bed in there! We'll drink coffee and wine and stay in our PJs and watch the kids play. The girls will LOVE Eliza!" So I said, "OK! I'm there!" And drink coffee and wine in our PJs we did. We had a lovely stay and such a good time catching up. She claims our visit was like a "vacation" for her. And in case you were wondering, those girls did love Eliza...

7191780510_229994f030_b

...and the feeling was mutual.
(Caroline, an excellent photographer, took this and many of the other pictures in this post)

Her girls, Julianne (5), Mary Margaret (4) and Leila (2.5) are some of the most precious sisters I've ever met. Little Jack, the first boy of the family, is just 8 weeks old and just about did me in with his sweetness. It's funny how you forget their early newbornisms. He's just really starting to coo and smile a lot, which of course comes with those sweet involuntary jerks they can't control. Oh goodness, he is perfect. We now interrupt this regularly scheduled blogpost for a little newborn baby ogling.

DSC_0553.JPG

DSC_0551.JPG

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0483.JPG

And he has four mamas doting on him at all times - lucky little man. Though of the four kids, I think he probably appreciated Eliza most of all - she took some of his sisters' attention off him for a bit!

Julianne and Mary Margaret decided to hold a birthday party for Eliza, which they sneakily planned during Eliza's much-needed, extra-long nap.

DSC_0479.JPG

This sticker stayed on Julianne's forehead all day. I never asked where it came from but I feel very strongly that we should all wear more stickers without explanation.

7191757750_326e05a6d7_b

There was lots of important decorating that needed to be done for the party. Actually, the house looked similar to how mine does currently. They were coloring pictures of fairies and mermaids and taping them to the wall, along with some of their own artwork, like Julianne's abstract sky. There was a banner of about 17 letters taped together (seen below, trailing down the wall) and when I asked what it said, Mary Margaret told me it said "Cake!" Of course!

DSC_0554.JPG


DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

As you can see, when I brought her into the room (still clad in her sleepsack), she was very, very excited about her party.

7191748410_411b63a252_b

7191739956_db2291007d_b

7191737798_7f81ff70fe_b

This picture is a little creepy/gross of me, who was taking "hang out in our PJs" pretty literally. I'm sure I scared all her friends in this makeup-free state. But so cute of the girls!

In case you hadn't already guessed, Caroline is one of those supermoms who cooks delicious, organic meals, has endless amounts of patience, and perfectly coiffed children at all times, but at the same time, makes it all look very easy and effortless, like they just rolled out of bed with bows in their hair (bows that she made, of course!) and smocked dresses on and that big breakfast just cooked itself. And, it was all just no big deal - "Coffee? Glass of wine? I'm having one, the bottle is open, help yourself!" It was quite a marvel to witness - she is an inspiration. Doesn't sweat that small stuff, yet her kids are so well-behaved and exuberant and creative all at once.

So, how does a mother of four kids 5 and under do it? Well, my friends, this picture pretty much says it all: Caroline taking pictures of the "party" while nursing baby Jack. Look, no hands!

DSC_0562.JPG

Another sorority sister of ours, Fontaine, and her daughter Clara stopped by for a visit:
7191761270_f05da6df65_b
(we have been in a big necklace phase ever since she discovered these beautiful gold mardi gras beads at the Malatestas)

Every day around 4, all the kids on their block spill out of the houses with their mamas for a block party. How cool is that, Austin mamas? Let's all move onto the same street and be neighbors!

7191731482_8e2a5ebc44_b

DSC_0590.JPG


Rub-a-dub dub, 4 girls in the tub:

7191725852_a1650764f8_b(1)

DSC_0617.JPG



DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

DSC_0638.JPG

Both nights the girls joined us on the bed for storytime.
7191771158_b07e2fa787_b

7191774082_2fa6ffa4c0_b
In Eliza's world, any time is a good time to put things on your head.

7191723096_b5884b506e_b

Being here was a bit of a glimpse into a crystal ball, in a way. It's reassuring to know the winding down time - storytime - will be my favorite time of day, even when she's five. And just as I take so much joy in her discoveries and spontaneous kisses now, there are so many happy, joyful moments to come in little girlhood, and as our family grows. I mean, of course you always know that, but it's a different thing to be inside of it instantly in this way. With each day that passes, baby Eliza is more of a little girl, and as we look ahead at toddlerhood, and maybe another baby down the road, seeing a home like this operate so happily instilled a confidence that I didn't quite have before. A wonderful thing to understand more deeply as I'm dragged reluctantly into my 7 lb., 8 oz. baby's first birthday. I think I'm finally ready to crawl out of my den of denial and allow time to march on, remembering this sweet family as she grows.

Thank you, wonderful Malatesta Clan, for having us - we loved EVERY minute in your warm and happy home!

2 comments:

  1. Your writing is endlessly charming - and you seem to speak directly to the wanna be mama inside of me. Ha.

    Thank you for writing, and sharing such sweet positivity with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming to visit. We loved every minute of it as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...